Cantaloupe Crisis Coverage

Friday, November 25, 2011

How this project just ruined my turkey sandwich

Greetings on this fine Black Friday, or the more aptly named National Turkey Sandwich With Everything Day. The Cantaloupe Crisis Coverage team has had all week off for fall break, but the foodborne illness obsession has not paused for a second (at least not for me). Although my Thanksgiving plate was decidedly free of cantaloupe yesterday, I took great care to apply the things I have learned about contamination to our meal--and it was trickier than expected. Over the past few weeks I have been learning the best ways to ward off bacteria, including:
These tips are easy, but take a little time to get used to if you're not used to much forethought. They are very important in avoiding contamination though.  Which brings me to today. I was comfortable with how well everything turned out for Thanksgiving dinner thanks t some pretty nerdy color-coded scheduling on Google calendars, but as I was making my sacred turkey leftovers sandwich today I realized that all that planning the day before was useless if I was going to eat half-cold bacteria-infested stuffing on a stale piece of bread.  I look forward to putting all of these helpful tips on a colorful infographic fit to be affixed to my fridge so that I never forget how to avoid contamination whether I'm cooking the most elaborate meal of the year or grabbing myself a slice of cantaloupe. It will be just one of many great tools on our website, so be sure to check back as we gather them all together, and hopefully we'll never have anything but happy eating. But now, knowing all of this, there is just no way I'm eating this sandwich.
posted by Dana Palmie at 11:19 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home